Hello all,
  I ran across the address for a new WWW site today so I decided to
try it out.  The address for the National Cartography and GIS Center
of the U.S. Department of Agriculture is:

http://www.ncg.scs.ag.gov/geocp.html

They have information on digital soil data that is available from SCS
(for a small or sometimes small fee).  They also have a few digitized
state soil maps that can be displayed in gif format.

While we are at it, though, I recently obtained a copy of a book
titled:

    State Soil Geographic Data Base (STATSGO) and their 1995 Data
Catalog from them.  Please note:  Although STATSGO is a SCS
Miscellaneous Publication, (no. 1492) this series is NOT depository.
You will have to write them for the information.  Their address is:

National Cartography & GIS Center
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Soil Conservation Service
Natural Resources Database Branch
P.O. Box 6567
Fort Worth, TX  76115

Have fun crawling through the web site.  Linda Zellmer