We have some satellite imagery of this region, AVHRR, And we have
published a digital classification of the region at 1 km resolution,
see "A Map of the Vegetation of South America Based on Satellite
Imagery", Stone, et al. in Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote
Sensing, Vol. 60, No. 5, May 1994, pp. 541-551. Send a letter to:
Thomas A. Stone, Woods Hole Research Center, PO Box 296, Woods Hole,
MA 02543, stating the nature of your activity with a data request and
I will send you the imagery and/or digital map.

Peter Schlesinger
Woods Hole Research Center