Several days ago Jeff White posted a question related to the DSSAT upgrade
and performance under different operating systems.

We are planning to release an upgrade of DSSAT as version 3.1 during the
beginning of 1996.  There will be some "patches" to correct problems we have
found in the various modules of DSSAT, including the crop models,
weathermanager, graphics and applications programs.  In addition we are
considering adding a sugarcane model and a new graphics and educational
program NSHOW to DSSAT.  These were demonstrated earlier this month during
the Agronomy Meetings.  I expect that the registered owners will receive an
automatic upgrade, although we have discussed the details of this procedure yet.

With respect to operating systems.  I am currently running DSSAT in OS2/WARP
and have found no problems.  It actually runs faster than in the regular DOS
environment.  The only minor problem is that for any graphical display you
need to implement a full screen window.  Availability of memory is great, as
OS2 takes care of all device and network drivers.  If you are looking for a
true multi-tasking operating environment, I highly recommend OS2/WARP.

Regards,

Gerrit

Gerrit Hoogenboom
Associate Professor
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
The University of Georgia
Griffin, Georgia 30223-1797, USA

Phone:  770-228-7216
FAX:    770-228-7218