Here is another wrinkle in the wheat phenology puzzle.  Both the rate of
leaf initiation and the timing of terminal spikelet initiation are
influenced by stresses.  One of my students (Jon Kamemoto) showed this in an
intercropping trial.  I now have a doctoral student (San-Gwang Hwang)
working on the problem.  We hope to model the effects and revise the
plant-development routines in CERES-Wheat/CropSys/JanuSys.

Aloha,
Robert M. Caldwell, Cropping Systems
Department of Agronomy and Soil Science
1910 East West Road, Honolulu, HI  96822; (808) 956-6835; FAX:(808) 956-6539
[log in to unmask]; http://agrss.sherman.hawaii.edu/caldwell/caldwell.htm
   (I sponsor mailing lists [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]; to
    subscribe, send the message: SUBSCRIBE GCTE3-4-L firstName secondName,
    or SUBSCRIBE CTAHR-L firstName secondName, to [log in to unmask] I
    also listen in on mailing lists AGMODELS-L and DSSAT.)