Thanks to Romeo and Attachai.  Your discussions are being read by a number
of "silent" partners.

Remember DSSAT is a prototype.  We are still crawling.  Without any core
support to engage in multidisciplinary efforts, additional components can be
included only as time and resources permit.  However, that will, hopefully,
not prevent us or others to develop these components.  I believe we've
structured DSSAT and the crop models in a modular framework to encourage
synergism among individuals and groups to develop products that will benefit
users.

While we have focused on the technical end of establishing DSSAT, we, all of
us in the science community, will need to establish the systems approach as
a viable means to develop, aggregate, and synthesize useful products and
tools that are applicable in addressing real world problems globally and
locally.
Romeo's comments on recognized constratints to productivity by those
administering tests related to our knowledge "in the field" are appropriate.
If DSSAT is to become useful, it must target the right audience.  Otherwise,
it may be too detailed or inadequate for our intended users.  Currently, I
believe, we've targeted scientists as our principal users.  We need to have
help from others so we don't end up with a product that is functional not
useful or applicable.   Who are our users of systems-based technologies?

We need evidence of success stories to demonstrate the capacity and
capability of systems-based tools.  Attachai's application in Thailand is
one.  Any others?

Gordon Tsuji