Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 20:27:35 +1100
To: ross mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
From: Jos and Patty <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Dutchmen and Belgians

Dear Ross,

This response off the list, because I again find myself in the position
where I can receive, but not send anything through the E-mail address that
I have subscribed under (long story, but it should be sorted out soon).

Anyway, on your comment on why the Dutch tend to be collectors of small
non-flashy types of shells I can only suggest that they hate spending
money, especially when their hobby is concerned. This is a gross
generalisation, but it is surprising how these characteristics hold when
you average them over groups of people. They also tend to take themselves
very seriously, another gross generalisation.

Like Robert Varman, I am of Dutch origin and live in Australia. Unlike him,
I tend to keep my ancestry quiet and am not particularly proud of it (I
don't have a problem with it either). I like small shells, but I also like
Volutes. Many collectors here in Sydney are also very scientifically
oriented, but they the are kind-of navelgazing people who don't look past
the oceans surrounding us. They don't have to, because there are plenty of
shells to work on around here. Maybe that's another reason that you deal
with Dutchmen and Belgians: they have to buy or exchange shells in order to
do their work, because there is nothing much to collect over there. You
would not deal with likeminded Australians. All they need to do is go to
the beach and scoop up some shell grit. That keeps them busy for a long time.

Enough of that. I have just moved and haven't even unpacked my shell
collection yet. I sell (shell) books.

talk to you later

Patty Jansen

Capricornica Publications
27 Winchester Ave.
Lindfield NSW 2070

phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.internetnorth.com.au/filejest/capric/bookshop.htm