From: "Monika Forner" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:26:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Introductions

Hi Ross:
Since you want the replies to go to your own address, here is a little bit
of a puzzle.  _Ostraea edulis_ is growing profusely and to impressive size
all over the Salem, Massachusetts, area.  BUT they are not at all found in
any seafood stores, at least not in the Boston/Lynn area (I don't go
grocery shopping in Salem).  I guess that's probably also the 'European
oyster' that was found up in Maine.  Now the question arises:  Is that a
recent introduction (in that case I would understand that the fisheries
have not caught on), or has it been around for quite some time and nobody
knows about it (if yes, why?) or has it been around for quite some time and
nobody cares (consumers being conservative, and all that), or is it found
only in a very limited range and would therefore not be cost-effective to
harvest (I found them very shallow in terribly polluted water, but really
LOTS of them),  -- or maybe I just shop in the wrong grocery stores?  Maybe
somebody answering you knows more about it; in that case, I'd like to know
too, OK?
And, by the way, _Littorina littorea_ is being eaten here too; the Italian
and Puertorican children of the Lynn area are gathering them for
consumption by their (definitely not affluent) families on Nahant Beach all
the time, although the creatures are really quite puny there, and the water
is so polluted that I don't swim there.  Oh well...

Monika