Mariah Lawson asks about this fossil site:

"Lowndes County, roadcuts along Route 263 from 0.4 to 3.3 miles south of
intersection with Route 21 expose the Ripley Formation. Exogyra costata,
Flemingostrea subspatulata, casts of mollusks, oysters, and rare echinoids
and ammonites are found."

This is the famous series of roadcuts at and south of Braggs, Alabama,
where the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary is well exposed at the contact of
the Cretaceous Prairie Bluff Chalk and Tertiary Clayton Formation. After
some years of study, most geologists and paleontologists agree that about
200,000 years' worth of strata are missing at the boundary, which is a
pity, because we were all hoping that it would show more about the weird
and horrifying events that occurred at this violent moment in earth
history. Yucatan is not very far away across the Gulf of Mexico, and that
is where the asteroid hit in what was then a shallow sea. A huge wave would
certainly have crashed through this area, but since the strata are missing,
there's not much we can say about what happened here. But we know a great
deal about what happened before and after the event, thanks to these
studies.

The site is not one that I usually recommend to avocational
paleontologists. Its collecting quality is as about the same as that of
alternative sites (e.g., several sites in the Livingston area), so there is
no special reason to visit this one. More to the point, the Braggs cuts are
heavily used by academics who have very few choices of places to go for
information on the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary, which is covered almost
everywhere else by soil and vegetation. The boundary is not obvious (marl
overlying marl). I try to steer visitors to a variety of sites, so they can
all have the experience of collecting at places that have not been
trampled.

To get back to Braggs, the Ripley Formation is the formation below the
Prairie Bluff Chalk, and is exposed in the northernmost roadcuts. Fossils
are common; the echinoids and ammonites are mostly "rare" in the sense of
being "uncommon here," not "rare everywhere in their range." Originally
calcitic shells (oysters Exogyra and Flemingostrea) are well preserved;
aragonitic shells have dissolved away, leaving internal molds that are
typically phosphatic. I was working on a much-anticipated monograph,
"Cretaceous Bivalves of Alabama," when economic changes made it necessary
to sidetrack me into working on externally funded projects. So I have an
incomplete manuscript of over 200 pages on Cretaceous mollusks in my file
drawer that's not doing anyone much good: 2.5 man-years of work. <sigh>

But you should be able to identify most of your Upper Cretaceous finds in
the eastern third of the United States by reference to the following works.
Most of them are out of print, but they are not rare publications; they can
easily be borrowed by interlibrary loan.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama

++++++++++++++++++++++

References on Upper Cretaceous invertebrates, Atlantic and Gulf Coastal
Plains of the United States

Dockery, D. T., III, 1993, The streptoneuran gastropods, exclusive of the
Stenoglossa, of the Coffee Sand (Campanian) of northeastern Mississippi:
Mississippi Office of Geology, Bulletin 129, 191 p., 42 pl.

Gardner, J. A., 1916, Mollusca, Brachiopoda, and Vermes. In Clark, W. B.,
ed., Systematic paleontology of the Upper Cretaceous deposits of Maryland:
Maryland Geological Survey, Upper Cretaceous, 518 p.

Richards, H. G., ed., 1958-1962, The Cretaceous fossils of New Jersey: New
Jersey Bureau of Geology and Topography, Paleontology Series, Bulletin 61,
pt. 1 (1958), 266 p., pl. 1-46; pt. 2 (1962), 237 p., pl. 47-94.

Sohl, N. F., 1960 [published 1961], Archaeogastropoda, Mesogastropoda, and
stratigraphy of the Ripley, Owl Creek, and Prairie Bluff formations: U.S.
Geological Survey, Professional Paper 331-A, p. 1-151, pl. 1-18.

Sohl, N. F., 1964a, Neogastropoda, Opisthobranchia, and Basommatophora from
the Ripley, Owl Creek, and Prairie Bluff formations: U.S. Geological
Survey, Professional Paper 331-B, p. 153-344, pl. 19-52.

Sohl, N. F., 1964b, Gastropods from the Coffee Sand (Upper Cretaceous) of
Mississippi: U.S. Geological Survey, Professional Paper 331-C, p. 345-394,
pl. 53-57.

Stephenson, L. W., 1914, Species of Exogyra from the eastern Gulf region
and the Carolinas: U.S. Geological Survey, Professional Paper 81, p. 41-55,
pl. 19-21.

Stephenson, L. W., 1923, Invertebrate fossils of the Upper Cretaceous
formations: North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey, v. 5, pt. 1, 604
p.

Stephenson, L. W., 1926, The Mesozoic rocks. In Adams, G. I., Butts, C.,
Stephenson, L. W., and Cooke, W., Geology of Alabama: Alabama Geological
Survey, Special Report 14, p. 231-250, pl. 77-92.

Stephenson, L. W., 1934, The genus Diploschiza from the Upper Cretaceous of
Alabama and Texas: Journal of Paleontology, v. 8, no. 3, p. 273-280, pl.
 38.

Stephenson, L. W., 1935, Further notes on the Cretaceous pelecypod genus
Diploschiza: Journal of Paleontology, v. 9, no. 7, p. 588-592. [Diploschiza
is now recognized as a junior synonym of Atreta.]

Stephenson, L. W., 1941, The larger invertebrate fossils of the Navarro
Group of Texas: University of Texas, Bulletin 4101, 641 p., 95 pl.

Stephenson, L. W., 1955, Owl Creek (Upper Cretaceous) fossils from Crowleys
Ridge, southeastern Missouri: U.S. Geological Survey, Professional Paper
274-E, p. 97-104, pl. 14-24.

Stephenson, L. W., 1956 [1957], Fossils from the Eutaw Formation,
Chattahoochee River region, Alabama-Georgia: U.S. Geological Survey,
Professional Paper 274-J, p. 227-250, pl. 38-45.

Stephenson, L. W., and Monroe, W. H., 1940 [1941], The Upper Cretaceous
deposits: Mississippi State Geological Survey, Bulletin 40, 296 p., 15 pl.

Wade, B., 1926, The fauna of the Ripley Formation on Coon Creek, Tennessee:
U.S. Geological Survey, Professional Paper 137, 272 p., 72 pl.

Weller, S., 1907, A report on the Cretaceous paleontology of New Jersey,
based upon the stratigraphic studies of George N. Knapp: New Jersey
Geological Survey, Paleontology Series 4, 1106 p.

Whitfield, R. P., 1885, Brachiopoda and Lamellibranchiata of the Raritan
clays and marls of New Jersey: U.S. Geological Survey, Monograph 9, 338 p.,
35 pl.

Whitfield, R. P., 1892, Gasteropoda and Cephalopoda of the Raritan clays
and Greensand marls of New Jersey: U.S. Geological Survey, Monograph 18,
402 p., 50 pl.