We like to shell City Park beach or also known as Algiers since you turn
on Algiers
to get to it.  We stay on Sanibel 2 1/2 months each winter and some
winters
when we have lots of storms the shelling is great.  Several Junonias were
found
last year.  I have never found much in the summer.  Shelling is also good
 around
the lighthouse--particularly wentletraps in the "coffee grounds" drift.
There might
be good shelling this summer since so many shells washed up and you can't
take the live ones so a lot of the dead ones are still there.  I'll give
my  phone
number on Sanibel in December and if anyone goes to Sanibel between Dec
30
and Mar 10 can possibly have info as to where shells are being found.
Several
of my friends are shellers.  Also Blind Pass is a good place to shell.  I
under-
stand the pass is almost closed up.  Before we left in March you could
walk
from Sanibel I to Captiva I.  and not have to be so aware of the current.
Also on Sanibel be sure and stop in at Ed Handley's Neptune Treasures
and Bev and Al Dynsers Showcase of Shells.  There is also She Sells
Seashells
but they do not carry very many specimen shells.
Thie winter the shells would wash up and then be covered with sand.  You
could
walk the beach and tell from the odor of decaying shells where would be a
good place to shell after the next uncovering of shells.
Shelling on Sanibel is an experience in itself.  Lots of shellers will go
along
the beach "throwing" back live shells.  A gentleman told me one day that
he could not collect shells for throwing back the live ones.  I explained
him that he was hurting the shell when he threw it back and he was so
sorry.
But another lady got angry and said the shell was better off in the water
than
on the beach.  I kinda kept my mouth shut after that.
Another sheller told my friend you are a "shell cruncher.  He said "
what's that?"  Well she explained that it is one who wears their shoes
on the beach and should go bearfoot so as not to crunch the shells.
She also stated that she had seen many rare shells crushed by shell
crunchers.
I was taking a photo of a horse conch with the animal out at the tide
line.
I threw a few other shells in the surf so they would wash up and make a
natural setting--one was a beautiful little (dead ) orange horseconch.
This lady approached and tried to take the live horse conch back in the
water.
I told her--I am taking a photo of this shell.  Then she started touching
the
operculum trying to make the animal go back in the shell.  So I explain
that
I want this slide of this animal out.  Then here comes a little old man
and
says pardon me and while I am bent over taking the photo picks up the
little orange horseconch.    I could tell many other stories but you are
probably
tired of reading this one.  Later.  Just remember shelling on Sanibel is
an
experience.   Any other questions feel free to E-Mail me
[log in to unmask]          Ardeth Hardin, Carrollton, Tx
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:23:26 -0400 mark <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>When in sanibel, stop in at larry stranges on fitzhugh st, you won't
>be
>sorry ......Mark & Peta  Bethke
>Hollywood, Florida

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]