Babylonia spirata (and other Babylonia sp.) are widely eaten by
residents of the Far East, and as such, can be found for sale (frozen
and in the shell) in many oriental food stores across the United States
(including here in Jacksonville).  Because of this fact, the empty shells
could
turn up virtually anywhere.  I recently acquired some specimens of
same (w/o) which were consumed by my other half in Taiwan.

>In July we went to the Keys and stayed on Tavernier. The
>first shell I found was a perfect crabbed Babylonia spirata. I was excited
>until I read that this species comes from eastern Asia. Someone probably
>bought it at a shell store across the street and chucked it off the pier.

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm