The situation in the United States differs from state to state. In general,
in the 13 original colonies, beaches can be privately owned, but I'm not
sure to what tide level. In the other states--again, speaking
generally--beaches are public property up to the mean high-tide level. But
exceptions abound. For example, if you try to walk along the beach to the
Grand Hotel on the Alabama coast, you'll walk into a fence.

Oyster beds can be privately leased in some states.

A related issue is the right to access by water, as the public has a legal
right to traverse navigable waters. I have often heard it said that "if you
can get a canoe up it, you have the right to be there." When investigating
Alabama state law for a guide on collecting fossils, I found that this
right has been severely hedged in this state. In fact, "navigation" has
been interpreted by judges as referring to commercial navigation, and
usually only where a past history of commercial navigation (i.e.,
steamboats) exists. But the case law on this subject is massive and
contradictory.

What are the "rights of navigation" in other states and countries?

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Tuscaloosa, Alabama