From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 22:33:05 -0600 (CST)
To: [log in to unmask] (Lynn Scheu)
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fwd: Saving the State Shell of Texas

Thank you for your response.  I appreciate it very much.  Please do not
think that I am doing this for sentiment only.  I believe that if the
Lightning Whelk is indeed in danger of becoming extinct a law should be
passed to protect it.  No matter what the reason !  I also would not
want to eat one, but to each their own.  There may be those that do.
People also ate the turtle, that I would find disgusting to eat, But it
was done.  Now there is a law protecting them for various reasons.  I am
sure the person with the Parks and Wildlife Department survey has a
reason for their statement.  I would hope that a department such as that
would not say or report this without researching it out.  I know that
there are other states that have such laws governing the protection of
certain shells for various reasons.  Yes, I know of Mr. R.Tucker Abbot.
My Mother knew him quite well.  IF the Lightning Whelk were being killed
for SCIENCE it would be another story.  However if the shrimpers ( or
anyone else ) is  killing it for other reasons, then trashing the shell
in the process, that too is another story.  The fact that it is a STATE
shell should alone be enough reason to protect its species if it is
being destroyed.  It could be the enviroment, it could be the shrimpers,
it could be collectors of seashells.  Whomever, or whatever the reason,
again I repeat if it is in danger then it is up to our government to
pass a bill to protect it and place a reasonable fine on those that do
not obey the law. Thank you so much for your input.  This is what I
wanted.  No matter if agreed upon or not.  I value your opinion..