Hello everyone,

I've been reading with great interest all the thread about bleaching
busycons in an attempt to imitate the white conch. Now, while I can't
add to the Hindu information, but I can say a little about the Buddhist
side of it. The white conch, sankha or dungkar, which is even more
revered if its spiral winds toward the right, is one of eight auspicious
symbols that are considered to be emblematic of Lord Buddha. The sankha
signifies the word that proclaims the glory of the Enlightened Ones, and
is sometimes called the victory trumpet. This and the seven other
symbols  are found on banners, carved into stones,adorn homes and nomad
tents in order to bring good luck. Some say that when Prince Siddhartha
experienced Enlightenment, the celestial beings were so happy that they
brought innummerable gifts to him, and that the eight auspicious symbols
were gifts retained by mankind and deemed to be essential.

Patti just another Buddhist in New Mexico