Hi Ross,

I think you're right.  I just wonder if one country banning export of a
species is a good excuse for another country to ban import of that
species, even if it comes from a different location.  It wouldn't surprise
me if this happens.

I spoke with one of the "Crown of Thorns" starfish experts from Guam
last year.  He told me exactly what you are suggesting.  Several
countries, Tonga for instance, banned the collecting of charonia tritonis
for this very reason.  It's published in any recent literature from Tonga
regarding shelling: the primary reason for the ban is to try to stop
the spread of acanthaster planci.  Also, almost any website on the
net that mentions these starfish is quick to give a grave warning not to
ever collect charonia tritonis, as they are "THE natural enemy of the
Crown of Thorns."  While it's true that the tritons sometimes feed on
these guys, I think it may be a bit presumptuous to conclude that
not taking charonia tritonis will solve the starfish problem.

In fact, the professor (I apologize to you, and to him, for forgetting his
name) told me that there appeared to be two main factors associated
with the proliferation of planci.  He said that agricultural runoff, or
even
unusual amounts of organic material hitting the water from heavier-
than-usual rainy seasons, often caused "blooms" in the starfish pop-
ulations.  Other than that, he said that in the years he's been study-
ing them, he's seen the populations expand and then practically dis-
appear, apparently as part of a natural cycle, for no obvious reasons.
(There was no explosion of charonia tritonis associated with the fluc-
tuations in starfish population.)  This shouldn't be very hard to accept,
as many of us have seen the cyclical fluctuations in molluscan pop-
ulations.

When I first came to American Samoa three years ago, I saw planci
in a lot of different areas, but it never appeared to be what I would
consider to be an infestation.  I've been told by some of the long-
time residents that their numbers skyrocketed after the two bad
cyclones five years ago.  Now, it's rare to see one in a day of diving
or snorkeling.  I do know where a couple "live," and can usually
find one or two if I'm looking for them.  Charonia tritonis weren't
very common here before the starfish bloom, and they still aren't.

The good Doctor also told a story about being "stuck" by one
of these starfish when he was doing research, I believe, in Palau.
The area was completely infested with planci, covering the reef.
He came to the surface, and explained to one of the locals that
he had been stuck, and that the pain was excruciating.  The
fellow told him he should go get the starfish, so they could put
the mouth of the starfish over the wound.  He guaranteed that
the starfish would suck the poison out, and the pain would go
away.  They tried this, and after about ten minutes the local
gentleman asked, "So, it feels better now?"  The researcher
told him, no, that it still hurt like heck.  The response: "Oh...
You sure you got the one that stuck you?"

Cheers,

Don

14.19S/170.43W

Http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com