Ross!
Tell us more about north Atlantic Corals!  In 40+ years of extensive
collecting in the northeastern United States, I have encountered only one
coral that I know of, Astrangia danae (I think that's how you spell it),
which growns in little white patches on rocks here and there.  I never
considered it as having much ecological importance, let alone enough to draw
worldwide researchers to an international conference!  Cold water corals
don't form reefs - or do they??  What is their significance?  How common are
they?  How many species are there?  Where do they live?
Regards,
Paul M.