From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John D Kawula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:17:19 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:31:58 -0900 (AKST)
From: John D Kawula <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: "The Mappist"
Sender: John D Kawula <[log in to unmask]>

Many of you may have already read this, but I thought I would mention it
anyway.

"The Mappist" is the title of a fictional essay by the noted nature writer
Barry Lopez that appears in his recent book "Light Action in the
Caribbean." I am a fan of Lopez and have read most if not all of his
collected writings. On the whole, I was disappointed with Light Action in
the Caribbean, but "The Mappist" was one of two or three essays in that
book I liked.

Last night, Barry Lopez presented a public reading in Fairbanks and "The
Mappist" was one of the selections he read. The title refers to a
disillusioned government cartographer who continues to produce exquisite
maps on his own.

Remarkably Barry Lopez said he wrote the whole thing in one sitting.

I highly recommend reading "The Mappist" especially in light of the
controversial CP 38 article that is being discussed.

John Kawula
Government Documents and Maps Librarian

University of Alaska, Fairbanks
--- End Forwarded Message ---