From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:18:22 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:48:30 -0500 (EST)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: #38 again <fwd> (fwd)
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

Patrick,

your messages on this topic have been very toughtful, and well stated.
Many others in this ongoing and open conversation have been stimulating
food for thought.  Thanks to all who are contributing to this thread.  I
for one have not been annoyed at the continuation of the discussion.

However, I would amend the characterization of the Federal Depository
program.  It is not only a historical source, but continues to provide a
large proportion of my maps collection.

In my experience, the trickle (if it really was one) has resumed to flood
proportions.  I still see lots of CD-ROMs of the Open File series, as well
as others, and I have been awaiting a new cabinet to house them.  I still
see fiche, also of the Open File series.  Titles in the the I series
Miscellaneous Investigations, and GQ series Geologic Quadrangles continue.
Many new editions of Topographic 7.5-minute quadrangles come each month.

In addition some miscellaneous maps and the occasional poster (one on
caves last year, on volcanoes last month) arrive from time to time.  The
excellent set of Southeast Asia last year was a surprise, but maybe it
should not have been, even if we are still awaiting two sheets of that
set.  I depend on the NIMA World map for various assignments where
students need to locate places with given coordinates.  This map works
best of all the world maps I have, because it gives every degree of
latitude and longitude.  It is useful as well to demonstrate the
advantages and disadvantages of the Mercator tangential cylindrical
projection.

In short, as far as maps are concerned, the depository program is still a
valuable part of my collection development.  This is especially true for
production of the Geological Survey.  It is also obvious that, while
electronic versions of mapping and other geospatial information are are on
the rise, printed maps are recognized by government producers as an
important resource and format.  In additon, electronic formats are on the
rise.

Again, this commentary is in no way meant as a criticism of the ideas
being discussed.

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA