From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:36:50 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:27:29 -0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: what is cartography and CP#38.... <fwd>
Sender: [log in to unmask]

May I add to April's response?

James' response - and that of others in similar circumstances - to the
would-be producers, is to apologise and inform them that they have got the
wrong number - but would they like to be referred to a cartographer/GIS
individual/firm/educational institution?  At least the producers would
(perhaps) instantly be educated before they wasted their questions (equals
James' time) - and their money - chasing the wrong profession.  Thus
misinforming the viewers and continuing the 'misinformation cycle'.  On the
positive side, *when* (if?) they had learned something, the producers coud
then focus on the cartographic/GIS community.  Thirdly, they could then time
a slot on the video demonstrating the symbiotic relationship between
producers of cartographic data, the sellers, the custodians, and their
customers.

Francis Herbert
Curator of Maps (RGS-IBG)
http://www.rgs.org [see 'Collections']