From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Haffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:14:06 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:19:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Sue Haffner <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Topo map question
Sender: Sue Haffner <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, all,

An instructor asked a question that we couldn't answer:
on the standard 7.5 topo sheet, there is a number just outside
the lower left margin (1 570 000 feet, for example) and, just
outside the lower left margin another one (240 000 feet, for
example). There is a tick by each number.
What do these numbers represent? Could they be measurements
from the meridians?
The instructor is teaching an orienteering class and has been
bombarding us with map questions for several days! We're all
learning (or re-learning) a lot, but we couldn't answer this.

TIA

Sue Haffner
CSU Fresno Map Library

--- End Forwarded Message ---