From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 08:28:11 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:00:17 -0500
From: "Zellmer, Linda R" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Subject: Digital Atlas of Southwestern Indiana

Hello,

        Please excuse the duplication.  I thought that I would let you
know about a new resource available here in Indiana. Below is part of an
announcement from Dr. John Steinmetz, Director of the Indiana Geological
Survey, that I received concerning release concerning the atlas.

"Staff at the Indiana Geological Survey (IGS) have recently completed a
digital atlas of southwestern Indiana. Developed with a Geographic
Information System or GIS, the computer-based maps were compiled from a
variety of public sources, including federal and state agencies, as well
as IGS files and records, for the twenty-six counties of the
southwestern part of the state. More than 170 layers of geographic
information have been assembled that can be used to construct unique
maps for numerous uses.

The various map layers include distributional information in including
aerial photos, highways, railroads, numerous public buildings and
structures (schools, dams), environmental and historical features,
geology, mineral deposits, mines and quarries, water, oil and gas wells,
and many others.

In producing many of the maps, Geological Survey personnel worked
closely with the engineering and environmental consulting firm
Bernardin, Lochmueller, and Associates of Evansville. Together, their
work was funded by a grant from the Indiana Department of Transportation
(INDOT).

The digital atlas should be a powerful planning tool for governmental
agencies at all levels, as well as businesses and industries. I would
hope that it can be used to aid in attracting new businesses to Indiana,
for it provides custom answers to many of the specific questions
prospective developers ask.

The digital atlas is available on the Indiana Geological Survey's
Website at http://igs.indiana.edu. The interested user can construct
custom maps from the various layers, and pan and zoom across the maps.
There is also a capability to print any custom-composed map. Each of the
individual map layers can be freely downloaded. Since download times can
be rather lengthy for the large datasets, the entire digital atlas can
be purchased from the IGS in a set of eight CD-ROMs for $90."

        The citation is:

Steinmetz, John C. Harper, Denver and A. Walls, Chris, 2002, A
geographic information system atlas for southwestern Indiana: Indiana
Geological Survey Citation: Open-File Study 01-23, 8 CD-ROMs and
booklet, 35 p. $90.00.

Linda Zellmer
Linda Zellmer
Head, Geology Library
Geology Building, Room 601
1001 E. 10th Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47405-1405
Phone: (812) 855-7170 Fax: (812) 855-6614