From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:32:31 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:24:07 -0700
From: CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: voracious archies <fwd>
Sender: CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>

Alice,

There are some similarities to our situation here.

I run a small state geological survey library. We only have 1800 sq ft altogether.   About 70% of that is in stacks; another 15% for our 2 staff, so only about 15% for study space. We only have 1 large (3 ft x 6 ft) study table, and 4 small (2 ft x 3 ft) study tables.  Obviously, our space is very tight.

Our collection, although small (approx. 10,000 monographs and maybe? 50,000 documents) is very rich: we intend to have absolutely every item ever done about the geology and/or mineral resources of Washington.  The collection is a real treasure.  We don't loan; research use only.

Lots of local profs have discovered our collection.  It's a fabulous resource for the students in their 'Geology of the Pacific Northwest' classes, since we have vastly more info on that subject than any of the community college or small 4-yr college libraries.

However, since our space is so limited, it's a real disservice to the students for all 20 or 30 of them to arrive at once.  They just won't fit!  And, it's a hardship on them, if all 20 shout out their questions to the 2 librarians (assuming they're both there at that moment), and then they each have to wait for help.

We've found a solution:

The profs schedule the class visit in advance. They send us the list of topics for each of the students, so we have the time to give each question the undivided 5 minutes it deserves. (These are usually very soft-ball reference questions, so they're easy to answer.)  We then pile of the books-- this stack for "Brad" and that one for "Jenny" and await the onslaught.

We tell the prof about our space problems, encourage them to tell that to the students, and encourage them NOT to all come at once, but to dribble in.  (The kids are rarely here for longer than an hour each.)

This has worked out really well for us: the librarians aren't frazzled and the kids each get good service. Of course, it's dependent on the courtesy of the Profs...

If you can identify the profs involved, you might want to talk to them, to see what reasonable arrangements can be made.

Connie

(P.S. Alice-- I've really enjoyed 'eavesdropping' on your work! Keep it Up!)

Connie J. Manson
Senior Librarian
Washington Division of Geology and Earth Resources
P.O. Box 47007
1111 Washington S.E., Room 173
Olympia, WA 98504-7007
ph: 360/902-1472; fax: 360/902-1785