From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Weessies, Kathleen
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:33:51 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:40:39 -0400
From: "Weessies, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: re: voracious archies <fwd>
Sender: "Weessies, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>

This is a very typical situation in any college/university library.  I very frequently find out the instructor's name and send a friendly email suggesting how to 'improve' their project.  I've never had an instructor take offense.  In fact they usually welcome the collaboration.  I'm responsible for maintaining relations with the geography faculty on campus, but I also freely email instructors of non-geography and non-MSU classes.

This won't stop your visits, but it may channel them in a direction you can bear.  You are certainly within your rights to formulate whatever strictures your collection needs.

Suggestions can be that the instructor warn you before the hordes descend, that the instructor explain research collection etiquette, that the assignment be restricted to a certain selection of items, or that library X nearer them may better suit their needs.  People email me all the time from around the US with questions outside my collections strengths -- they just don't know that a much better collection is right around their corner.

Kathleen Weessies
Maps/GIS Librarian
Michigan State University
517-432-9669