From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cartographics <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:19:18 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:11:56 +0100
From: Cartographics <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Medieval Maps
Sender: Cartographics <[log in to unmask]>

Can anyone assist with this enquiry please - if so please respond direct to
Dr O'Rourke:

I am a member of an AHRB-funded postdoctoral research group looking into a
medieval English Chronicle (the prose 'Brut') that survives in at least 181
manuscripts. As part of our project we are planning to set up an online
'virtual atlas' showing the distribution of Brut manuscripts in England and
Ireland. We are therefore looking for a source of maps of the British Isles
from the 12th to the 17th centuries that show the appropriate county /
national / ecclesiastical boundaries, major towns, cities and ecclesiastical
sites etc. Just to avoid confusion, we're not looking for contemporary maps
from, say, the 13th century, but modern maps that show the appropriate
boundaries that existed at the time.

Any help you could give us with this problem would be gratefully received.

If such maps were available in a digital format that would also make our
life infinitely easier!
Dr Jason O'Rourke

AHRB Research Fellow

Traditions of the Book research group