From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:13:25 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:47:02 -0400
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Sanborn Atlases <fwd>
Sender: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>

     At NYPL Map Division

     1. The older Sanborns are heavily used, and the ones for NYC are
     considered primary reference materials for the Map Division ref desk,
     where we are focusing more and more on NYC reference. [Think
     taxpayers, public relations, audience, etc. etc.]

     2. None of our Sanborns have been sent to Special Collections which
     would not accept them anyway, as they are not antique, rare, or
     French. [or sorry, that was rude, and I meant English, anyway. Ouch!]

     3. Few have red rot, as most have been rebound. Many still need
     rebinding, which is not being done...now they are boxed. Not my idea
     of good conservation policy, but I am not in charge.

     4. We have disassembled many of these, and encapsulated them for ease
     of access. More than one reader at a time can use plates from the same
     atlas, copies can be made with ease [without having to fight the
     weight and size and tight bindings of the books] Another benefit, the
     plates can also be used in exhibits, and for "show and tell" with
     donors and students.

     5. We have microfilm copies, but these are many times not
     replacements, but variants. It is critical to study the microfilm in
     comparison with hard copies, either of which may have manuscript
     notations or glued in info not in the other format. The secret here:
     ask your users to tell you if they find differences. If they are
     intensely using particular volumes, they will see differences you
     might never notice. Document these differences if you have the time,
     staff and inclination. If you cannot do this for all the Sanborns you
     have, do it for your own city,and leave it up to others to monitor
     their own!!

     I have never seen the middle ground in a map collection. You are
     usually at the top or the bottom of a steep cliff. Middle ground
     sounds kinda neat.

     Alice Hudson
     Map Division, NYPL