From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:15:54 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:30:35 -0400
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Compass rose <fwd>
Sender: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>

The best book I've found is Der Kompass, I believe by Schuck? Sorry, I am not
near my handy dandy catalog at present. Alice Hudson, Map Division

Second message(Moderator inserted)

    Following are some good sources for compass roses:

     Albert Schuck. Der Kompass. Hamburg, 1911-18.  3 v. in 1. In German.

     Michel Mollat. Sea charts of the early explorers: 13th to 17th
     century. New York, Thames and Hudson, 1984.  excellent color
     photography of portolans, and most have gorgeous compass roses for
     your inspiration

     Raymond Lister. Antique maps and their cartographers. London, Bell,
     1970. He has on one page  20 or so redrawn compass roses, illustrating
     different patterns and designs. Useful for graphic artists.

     Alice Hudson
     Map Division, NYPL