From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:17:15 -0400
Subject: maps and MARCIVE(long)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:12:27 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]

------------------
To fellow listserv-ees on both lists:
Have any of you had experience with receiving electronic records from
MARCIVE, downloaded into INNOPAC?  We select all the USGS maps series,
like
Geographic quadrangles, miscellaneous investigations, water
investigations,
etc.,  plus the assorted flat maps that come through the depository
system,
like CIA maps, census, etc.  The records get downloaded twice--a short
record, that supposedly arrives first, and is suppressed, and then the
longer, full record, that isn't suppressed, and is supposed to overlay
the
short record.  The short record (and the barcode and label) is supposed
come in close to the time you receive the map.   We touch the record as
we
process the map, un-suppress it, and again, supposedly, the long record
arrives, overlays the short record, and adds the location and the item
record (with the barcode), so the patron can tell the call number, and
the
library location.  (This probably makes little sense to you unless you
have
this set-up!)
But what we are seeing is that the map may come in months before any
record, and sometimes we never get the short record, and other times we
never get the long record!  Or maybe we never get the smartbarcode!  If
we
get some sort of record, I can slap another barcode on and create an
item
record, and manipulate the record to show the correct location, and
unsuppress if I need to.  But since we often get only the long record, I
have to create an item record  to show the patron where the map is (the
location that shows to the patron is driven by the item record, and
there
is no item record until I add one, since it never seems to get here on
the
weekly load from MARCIVE).  Our technical folks are trying to get a
response from the MARCIVE folks, but the problem persists, and it seems
be unique to the maps.  Most other depository items seem to arrive in
close
proximity--electronic records (short and long) and smart barcodes from
MARCIVE, and the actual items from the depository system.  But I would
say
the majority of our map records come piecemeal, if at all.  Generally,
we
get either short or long, but rarely both.  Since I process the maps, I
have given up, and just made it my policy to wait for 3 months, and by
then, at least one or the other is usually here.    If the barcodes
don't
show up, I add one of our own.  But if the long record never comes, we
don't have full cataloging.  Plus, we are paying for a service that is
supposed to be provided by MARCIVE, and with the maps, the service is
pretty poor.
You can reply off list to me.  I would appreciate any feedback to see if
this is an overall problem, or seems to be unique to our library!

Debra McCracken
Research and Information  Assistant
Lied Library
4505 Maryland Parkway  Box 457039