From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:07:30 -0400
Subject: RE:  map library hierarchies]
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:53:17 -0600
From: "Jones, David      (Library)" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Here's the situation for the William C. Wonders Map Collection at the
University of Alberta,

The map collection is a unit within the Science & Technology Library.
The
bulk of the collection is on the main level of the Cameron Library
(Science
& Technology).  Reference service is conducted  by the SciTech Reference
staff with complex questions referred to the Map Librarian or the Maps
Assistant (who has a graduate degree in Geography).

The Map Librarian reports to the Associate Director, Science,Technoology
and
Health Sciences Libraries, one of the 2 major public service units.
Most
activities (e.g reference, acquisitions, cataloguing, etc.) are
integrated
with the Library as a whole.

GIS services are in the form of data distribution for licensed resources
-
Natural Resources Canada recently made its files available to
universities
for teaching and research purposes  -we have provided  over 6000 files
top
our studendts and researchers in the past year..  This augments the
Statistics Canada and DMTI and some Alberta files which have been
provided
through the Data Library (which is part of the Humanities and Social
Sciences Library and located in another building).  The Map Librarian
and
the Data Librarians are developing an overall spatial data services
plan.

We do not have formal collaborations with GIS activities in the teaching
areas - at least not yet. There are active GIS groups in our Departments
of
Earth & Atmospheric Sciences (Geog & geol); Biosciences; Renewable
Resources; Business ; Anthropology; History; and others.  Pending the
completion of the spatial data services plan, most of the promotion has
been
by word of mouth and direct e-mail to known GIS users.

Limited staffing is a significant factor in our present service offering

If you have any particualr questions, just let me know.

David

David L. Jones, Map Librarian
William C. Wonders Map Collection
Science & Technology Library
1-26 Cameron Library
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2J8
voice  (780)492-3433     fax   (780)492-2721
e-mail   [log in to unmask]