From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:11:44 -0500
Subject: RE: Diacritics for coordinates on Horizon
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:31:14 -0700
From: Ken Rockwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Recently one of our computer folks found a way to make the map
coordinate diacritics display properly while cataloging in Horizon.
Debra Lords writes as follows:

"The problem is a font problem, not a Horizon application problem.

"The way to fix this particular diacritics issue is to use "Lucida Sans
Unicode" font in Horizon instead of the Andale WT J font.  You can
either have this set for all of Horizon or for just the Marc Editor.

"To change it for all of Horizon do the following steps:
Open Horizon,
Enter you password but DO NOT HIT ENTER.
Click on the button that says "Options"
In this window under Font, choose "Lucida Sans Unicode".

"To change it in only the Marc Editor:
Be in the Marc Editor.
 From the Toolbar choose Tools | Customize Editor.
On the Font Tab, choose Font and select "Lucida Sans Unicode" from the
list.

"NOW, for the caveat. I cannot say what this might do to other
diacritics, but remember you can change the font to whatever you want.
So if one diacritic works well with one font and another screws up ...
Well, the joys of customization are thine."

I am told by my library's Arabic cataloger that she got the diacritics
for Arabic to work right with the Arial font.  I just experimented with
that, and the map diacritics are as bas as ever there.  Different fonts
work for different sets, I guess.  So go with Ms. Lords' advice and
we'll do okay.  It's working for me...

By the way, for those who may not have this, the easiest ways to create
the coordinate diacritics is:
(degrees) Superscript-Zero from the Diacritic button bar;
(minutes) [F7] then "p" (lower case);
(seconds) [F7] then "P" (upper case)

--Ken Rockwell