From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:56:29 -0500
Subject: Grant & Promotion Question
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:54:04 -0600
From: Glenn Ferdman <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Colleagues: Over the past six years,
we've amassed a collection of some 800 maps
of the Ottoman empire, dating from the 16th-20th
century (most dating from the 16th-18th),

Over 90% of the collection is 'loose' (i.e., not
bound in volumes), making them especially valuable
to scholars and researchers interested in this area/period.
Nearly half the maps in the collection are of the Holy Land,
and also include maps of North Africa, the Balkans and the
Middle East.

They have been appraised by a local rare books/map
dealer who stated that it may well be one of the top
half-dozen collections of its kind.

Our goal is to catalog the collection and attach digital
images of each item to the bibliographic record. We've
also discussed the possibility of doing some type of
virtual exhibit.

I would be grateful for suggestions along two lines:
1) grant sources to assist with a cataloging/digitizing/
exhibition project, and 2) web sites to help promote
the existence of this collection to the academic community.

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Glenn Ferdman
Glenn Ferdman
director, Asher Library
and president, Judaica Library Network of Chicago
Spertus Institute of Jewish Studies
618 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60605
(312) 322-1753
www.spertus.edu/library.html