From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 12:26:25 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005
From: "Lori Sugden" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: MAPS-L:  Maps loan periods?

Hi Katie--

We circulate maps and airphotos to undergrads for 4 weeks and to
grads/faculty/staff for a term (Sept-Apr or May-Aug, all loans renewable up
to 5 times).  Everyone is guaranteed a 7 day loan, but the items can be
recalled after that.  This is in keeping with book circulation policy, and
there are automated courtesy notices a few days before items are due.

Things to consider:
- lower circulation,
- less wear and tear on the maps,
- less time spent filing and following-up on overdues,
- people with term loans may have an item for over 2 years--a very long
time,
- few people want to recall maps,
- this collection is only about 2% fully catalogued, so browsing through the
maps in the drawers is often the best way to find them--unless they're on a
long loan.

I too find that people feel more positive about the library with longer
loans.

Lori Sugden, Map Curator
University of Victoria Libraries
McPherson Library - Map Library,
Victoria, BC, Canada V8W 3H5

[log in to unmask], phone (250) 721-7356
http://gateway.uvic.ca/dept/map/map.html