From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 May 2005 07:56:22 -0500
2 replies below
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE: MAPS-L: Re: 1:10,000 Surplus maps
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:43:49 -0700
From: "Diaz, Carlos" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum" <[log in to unmask]>

Well, here in the United States, Federal documents depositories have a system to discard superseded or duplicate titles called Needs & Offers.

We compile lists of what we want to discard, sent them out to the depositories around the state first before we can send the list to the National Needs & Offers List.  You have to retain the offers for three months in order to give depositories a chance to see if they need them or not.  Once the deadline is up, you can now get rid of them.  Most of the time, they go to recycling bins and yet, others have a free bin that patrons can pick and choose from.

Carlos A. Diaz
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, Washington

Second reply