From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:26:10 -0400
Subject: New USGS shipping lists and pick sheets
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:02:24 -0400
From: "Mark A. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Maps-L:

I'll probably contact USGS in Denver, but we got a depository shipment
that includes, in addition to the traditional shipping list, the new
"pick sheet" (i.e., packing list) on the retro wide green computer line
printer paper.

This listing matches exactly what was in the shipment.

The white shipping list includes stuff that we don't select, so of
course it's not in the shipment.  It also includes stuff that we DO
select but that isn't on the green sheet or in the shipment.

The instructions sort of imply that we we may not be able to claim those
missing maps that aren't on the green sheet (they obviously knew they
were leaving them out, so it was no mistake).

Should we:

1. wait for another box?  There was no indication this was "box 1 of 2."
Also, it says "One ship list and one pick/packing sheet will cover all
packaged shipments."  Which is saying that the green sheet should list
everything in all boxes of this shipment, and we've already gotten
everything on the green sheet.

or

2. just go ahead and claim the missing but selected sheets on the white
shipping list?  It says when making a claim to send a copy of the S.L.
and the pick sheet.  Alternatively, it says you can fax the shipping
list (if faxing, do you just ignore the pick sheet?).  This is just
paranoid, but I'm afraid of letting them see the green sheet because
they could say, "See, those sheets weren't intended to be part of your
shipment."

or

3. clarify things first by calling USGS in Denver.

Thanks,
        Mark
Mark Thomas / [log in to unmask] / 919-660-5853, fax:919-684-2855
Economics, Geology, Geography Bibliographer
Map and GIS Librarian / Public Documents and Maps Department
025 Perkins Library / Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0177