From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:25:04 -0400
Subject: Re: octagonal
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:29:42 -0400
From: "Stephen R Baig" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Almost assuredly it is one of the "wagon-wheel" airstrips scattered
about Florida.  They were used to train (mostly) naval pilots during WW
II.  Pres. Bush elder was trained at such a field in Ft. Lauderdale.
That field has now become Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International
airport.  The pilots' barracks were razed only a few years ago.  I am
writing from the site of another such field.  It was declared excess
property and now is the site of Florida International University, Main
Campus, in west Miami.  A third local field now is the site of Broward
Community College and of Nova University main campuses.

Best regards to all,

Stephen Baig

--
Dr. Stephen Baig