From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:23:24 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Rolled wall maps
Date:   Fri, 2 Dec 2005
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

In the deep dark past, our conservation lab here at NYPL guillotined these
rolled maps, which were designed for schoolroom use, and we do not have any
schoolroom based associations, not being on campus.

In other words, we quartered the maps after removing them from the rolls,
which were discarded, or given to a local collector who mounted his 19th c.
roller maps [lacking rolls] on them.

Once quartered, the maps were Mylar encapsulated, labelled and filed with
the sheet maps in the map drawers. We were saving the information on the
maps, but not the format. This also made the maps easier to handle for
reference purposes.

Now the pendulum has swung, and conservation staff would not cut up maps
for any reason. Now they remain rolled and collecting dust on top of map
cases. not a happy solution for storage, or for reference use. But the
conservators are happy.

Bring back the guillotine!

Alice H.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

 ------>  [Room 121,   February - November 2005]

[log in to unmask]; 212-930-0589; fax 212-930-0027

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html