From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 11:32:52 -0400
Subject: RE: GMD for maps
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:52:57 -0400
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi Chris

First of all, don't be embarrassed about this question, it is one that
has
generated various discussions in map cataloging workshops.  As you can
see
from the emails at least two of our excellent map catalogers were using
the
GMD in difference ways.

The University of Florida has been cataloging maps on-line ever since
OCLC
loaded the LC MARC tapes.  I was lucky as the original NOTIS program for
maps was written in conjunction with our Heads of Cataloging and
Computer
Systems.  NOTIS could handle the maps in a separate partition and the
subfield h was not necessary.  Thus we were able the practice of Lib. of
Congress map catalogers, who did not use the h subfield map.  Over the
decades, on OCLC I have seen some records where the GMD was used. It has
been my experience that majority of these were from libraries that did
not
have large collections of maps.  It was a way for their staff and
patrons to
be aware that there was a map microfilm set or road map available.  I
always
remember an LC cataloger telling me there was no right or wrong to this
but
it depended where the item would be located, i.e. a microfilm set of
maps in
the Map Library would be cataloged as a map and the format described in
the
300 field.  A map microfilm set located in a microfilm collection could
be
cataloged as a microfilm set with a h subfield map.

Hope this helps a little.  Be happy the revised version of the
Anglo-American Classification and Cataloging Rules for Cartographic
Materials is supposed to be available in the Fall, 2003.  It has been
expanded to deal with a lot of issues which have been unclear or whose
format has developed since the first edition.
Helen
HelenJane Armstrong PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Library