From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:55:45 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Seeking cartographic standards
Date:   Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:17:50 -0500
From:   Roger L Payne <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Yes, the U.S. Board on Geographic Names is responsible for names
standardization for the entire Federal Government, and any publication,
conventional or digital, and websites must use only names in the Geographic
Names Information System (GNIS) <http://geonames.usgs.gov>.  The various
Forest Service regions (as well as Salt Lake City) participate
interactively in the GNIS Maintenance Program.  Contact Ms. Kanalley in the
FS Office of Engineering in Virginia for more information.  She is also the
primary representative of the FS to the Board.

Roger L. Payne
Executive Secretary,
  U.S. Board on Geographic Names
703.648.4544

             "Angie Cope,
             AGSL"
             <[log in to unmask]>                                            To
             Sent by: "Maps,           [log in to unmask]
             Air Photo &                                                cc
             Geospatial
             Systems Forum"                                        Subject
             <[log in to unmask]         MAPS-L: Seeking cartographic
             UGA.EDU>                  standards

             02/23/2006 01:18
             PM

             Please respond to