From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:20:30 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: National Atlas loose sheets
Date:   Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:26:54 -0500 (EST)
From:   Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Kathleen, this is a most interesting question.  Here's my take on it:

I have found it most useful to treat each map as a separate title, each
with its own G class number.  My reasoning is that a user probably is more
interested in the thematic material of the map, and less that it is part
of the National Atlas series.  Two cases come to mind to illustrate this.
A class on geology of the national parks has an assignment to answer
questions about the parks.  The federal lands map, classed G3701.G5
(public lands of United States) helps with this.  Another  user wants
information on Indian linguistic and ethnic groups, and the map covering
this is in G3701.E1.  Neither user is really concerned with the series,
although they are reassured that the information is from government
agencies. Each map is searchable by subject, which would not be possible
if they are treated as parts of a set.  Entries for sets are not often
updated with new subject headings as new titles are added.

The individual maps can be collected together in the catalog by the added
title, National Atlas, for librarians or others who might wish to see what
National Atlas sheets the library owns.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA