From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:15:10 -0600
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: National Atlas loose sheets
Date:   Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:12:12 -0800
From:   Diaz, Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Well, we catalog our maps monographically including our topographic maps.  If a record doesn't appear on OCLC, our cataloging librarian will create original cataloging for it.

I do agree that cataloging monographically helps the patron find the map much more easily than a serial record.  Adding the series name to the series field also helps in some instances.  You can click on that link and find other maps like it may be of interest to some patrons.

There are some maps that somehow don't make it through the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP) and so never get distributed.  We refer to these missing documents as "fugitives."  Whenever I find a fugitive document, I report it to FDLP so they can add it to the program.

BTW, the call number for your title is:  G3701.D2 1985 .K8 (OCLC# 16630825).  I found it using our consortial online catalog.

Carlos A. Diaz
Government Documents/Maps
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, Washington