From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 07:49:40 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Need advice on Canadian sets
Date: Wed 22 Jun 2005
From: "Weessies, Kathleen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum"

I have two folders that contain a mish-mash of Canadian maps.  I've counted six varieties of 1:500,000 maps and five varieties of 1:506,880.  We've had them interfiled in the past because they use the same sheet numbering system.  I can't find any logical pattern to the name & type of map changes; they cross time frames and geographic regions.  How is the best way to split these into "like" items?  I don't know enough about the changing department names and purposes of mapping projects:

a. 1:500,000 Canada Department of Energy Mines and Resources, Aeronautical Edition
b. 1:500,000 Canada Department of Mines and Technical Surveys, Aeronautical Edition, National Topographic Series
c. 1:500,000 Canada Department of Mines and Technical Surveys, Aeronautical Edition
d. 1:500,000 Canada Department of Mines and Technical Surveys, Aeronautical Chart
e. 1:500,000 Canada Department of Energy Mines and Resources
f. 1:500,000 Canada Department of Mines and Technical Surveys, National Topographic Series

The five types of 1:506,880 maps have similar variations.

Kathleen Weessies
Maps/GIS Librarian
Michigan State University
100 Library W308