From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 16:27:12 -0500
Subject:        RE: How does one publish Renaissance maps?
Date:   Tue, 13 May 2008 17:01:35 -0400
From:   Carlucci, April <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Roger

Another way of achieving this is to find out where the original maps are and deal directly with the owners (probably a library or museum). Hopefully the owners of the original maps are cited in the credits of the books you give as the sources of the images. Your professor, or his publisher, would then approach the owners of the originals for (a) a high quality reproduction for use in the new work and (b) permission of the owners to reproduce their property. Both of these transactions would attract a fee.

The publishers of the books in which the images appear may or may not still have the reproductions they used. In any event, your professor would still need permission of the owner of the original regardless of where the image comes from.

This is my understanding from many years of helping hopeful authors at the British Library. I hope it helps.

April

April Carlucci
Catalog Librarian for Maps
Yale University Library