Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:06:07 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Classifying a small map collection using LC?
Date:   Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:05:12 -0500
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

hi Carolyn and all;

My first cataloging experience was back in 1983 doing original work on a
local history map collection. The maps were 90% on the same region. The
library used DEWEY for the rest of their collections. I suggested that they
file the maps by a call number sequence, but suggested that we use LC
instead of Dewey, because the call numbers would be long and repetitious,
and subject to mis-filing.

The local history collection was in Dewey and they agreed from past
experience that the numbers were hard to deal with (almost 100% of their
collection was on their city and vicinity).

LC worked fine and starting with it from the beginning was good as I could
build the catalog and make sure all the maps went together well. It was
also easier to show people how to locate maps in the collection too. I made
a guide with index maps showing the call number breakdown to assist anyone
afraid of LC, which also helped the staff there.

When I did the collection, I looked into a few other classification schemes
but in the end, LC had the best system for maps that need a call number (as
Mary said, USGS and other maps having a decent index don't really need a
call number--in fact, we tried that on one series just to see if it would
work and it was more work than it was worth).

So after cataloging maps there and later at UB, I am strongly in favor of
LC's schedule for maps and atlases. They organized "G" very well (I've
cataloged a variety of other formats and I can't say I enjoy some of the
other schedules as much).

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo