Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:06:35 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Online map indexes to USGS topo series?
Date:   Thu, 11 Jan 2007 14:09:25 -0500
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Greetings all;

It is always frustrating for us to keep the paper indexes around for use,
especially NY and PA, which are our key strong areas of use. NY always
disappears and I keep several copies around but cannot replace these when
they are gone.

I came up with a cheap solution as sometime in the semester the indexes all
vanish for awhile:
<http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/asl/maps/map_indexes.html>

I scanned the 7.5 minute NY index and broke it into sections for use at ref
desk and elsewhere.
Many states do have indexes up (see the NYS one on their GIS site--also on
the page URL above). This has saved lots of time and aggravation for
librarians and users.

I wish that the USGS would do this and save us all the fuss, but in the
mean time, I am happy for anyone to put indexes up for any state, that we
can use. There are a number of ways that I have found finding aids online,
but none that are as easy and fast as the paper indexes

One Note: one reason we have our 7.5 topos filed and cataloged
alphabetically, is because the indexes provide access. IF the index is
gone, the alternatives are searching by coordinates, or using other online
tools to locate a map that (with the index) could be located in a few
minutes.

Second note: Delorme's TopoUSA products do help as a finding tool. You can
find your location, get coordinates, AND topo map name from using the
software. It is about as good as using the BGN database to find names
cross-ref'ed to map titles.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo