Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:09:37 -0600
Subject:        new website for antique maps of Africa
Date:   Fri, 12 Jan 2007 16:29:54 -0800
From:   Michael Smith <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, I am glad to announce the launch of this website at Northwestern University.  I am the former map librarian there, and worked on the site's preparation (mostly research and cataloging) for nearly two years.  I think this is a fine complement to a similar (and larger) website at Stanford.  Also noteworthy about the site is the high quality of the images.  We welcome comments (I will pass them along to NU), especially with regards to my cataloging (I am NOT a cataloger:) and provenance.

There was a recent, short article about the site from the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6250225.stm

16th- Early 20th Century Maps of Africa
http://www.library.northwestern.edu/govinfo/collections/mapsofafrica/
This site features digital copies of 113 antique maps of Africa and accompanying text dating from the mid 16th Century to the early 20th Century. All scanned maps are authentic and originally collected by the Melville J. Herskovits Library of African Studies (or the Africana Library) at Northwestern University.

Regards,

Mike

Michael L. Smith
Map Librarian