Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:01:04 -0500
Subject:        Anyone using Google Earth for map cataloging?
Date:   Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:31:24 -0400
From:   Eileen Janas <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Is anyone using Google Earth in their map cataloging process?  If my MARC
record has 034 data, and I want to see the map outline on Googe Earth,has
anyone got an easy way of converting the MARC 034 tag into a .kml file so I
can display it on Google Earth (and link back to the bib record for the
metadata?)  And secondly, if I have a map that doesn't have coordinates,
but I can compare it to Google Earth and obtain a lat/lon for each vertex,
does any one have a shortcut to creating the 034 and 255 tags without
copying and pasting each latitude and longitude into the proper subfield?
My error rate is very high with the copy/paste method. I looked at the
National Geologic Map Database
http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngmdb/ngm_catalog.ora.html
which displays minimum bounding rectangles on Google Earth, but the data
isn't coming from a MARC database.  I appreciate any suggestions.

Eileen Janas
CIA Library
703-482-2179