From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:58:49 -0500
Subject:        RE: Sanborn Insurance Maps
Date:   Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:40:22 -0400
From:   Stone, Howard <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

The Brown University Library cataloged a large number of Sanborn maps
for many of the cities and towns of Rhode Island about two years ago.
They can easily be found in OCLC by searching Sanborn as corporate
author and limiting the search to "R.I." as a subject. These are older
maps, chiefly before 1940.

I would consider the maps published items with Sanborn as the publisher.
My guess is that the real estate company ordered the maps from Sanborn,
and then Sanborn either printed or stamped the name of the real estate
company on the maps as a courtesy or for an extra fee. If you are
certain that a map is a photocopy you could add a 533 note to that
effect.

Brown's Sanborn maps are unfolded (with no indication they've been
folded in the past) and without covers. As an educated guess, my feeling
is that the folders were added by the company.

Brown Univ. cataloged the maps using the "x maps on x sheets" format.
Our maps came with each sheet loose rather than being bound as atlases.
(There were a very few exceptions for larger cities like Providence and
Pawtucket).

I would definitely make an added entry for the real estate company. It's
a logical access point since it appears prominently on the maps. At
Brown, we also made title entries for both the main title and the brief
title on the subsequent maps.

Hope this helps,

Howard Stone, Map Cataloger, Brown University