From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:37:06 -0500
Subject:        RE: Map call #s
Date:   Tue, 15 Apr 2008 16:21:31 -0400
From:   Carlucci, April <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Tiffany

As mentioned by others, LC classification is not a requirement of map cataloging, and any classification system that provides a useful means of storing and finding the maps in your collection can be used. Some libraries use LC (the advantage being that the classification number is often available with cataloging copy); some use Dewey (which might make sense for your library as you already use Dewey; basically, just put 912 in front of the number from the Area Table); some use a locally produced classification system; some use an accession system (just number them from 1 onwards); and some store the maps in a geographic system (world -- continent -- country -- state -- county -- city) without using a class number at all. I've seen all of these different approaches used in all sizes of collections, and MARC is flexible enough to record them.

I would also tend to agree that you don't want to catalog/classify each sheet of a series separately unless you have a compelling reason to do so, although some will disagree with this. It depends on how much cataloger resource you have. Graphic indexes are usually sufficient, and can be provided in digital format as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

April
April Carlucci
Catalog Librarian for Maps