From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:48:23 -0500
Subject:        RE: Map call #s
Date:   Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:33:10 -0700
From:   Diaz, Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

We are a Federal documents depository and so we receive topographic maps for the Pacific Northwest states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Alaska, and California.  We also have some topographic maps from British Columbia.

We shelve the U.S. topographic maps by state and quadrangle name.  It is far easier to shelve it this way for patron use.  Nonetheless, the topographic maps still have their SuDocs on it in case a problem arises with the map.  We also have individual records for each map on the online catalog.  So, if you are in need of some bib. records for individual quadrangles, you can find them on OCLC.

As for our British Columbia topographic maps, they are cataloged in LC call number.  At first, when I shelved these, I had them by the quadrangle name as well but then I noticed that the index that it came with had them indexed by the map number.  As a result, I changed it so that it was shelved by the map number instead of the place name.  These also have individual bib. records.  I came to find out that Canadian libraries don't have individual bib. records for their topo. maps but, instead, use serial records.

Any map in our collection that is not a Federal document map gets an LC call number.  That includes wall mpas published by Denoyer-Geppert, Bushnell Hart, Harding, Haack, McNally, etc. are all cataloged in LC as well as National Geographic maps and state highway maps from the 50 states.  They all have individual bib. records as well.

We are a III catalog library.  You can use the keyword search engine, type a place name, go to the material type pull-down menu and select MAPS to find what maps are available in our collection.  Once our patrons know this trick, they end up so very happy they are able to find a map in our collection.

Is all the work we put into this worthwhile?  Of course it is.  Our collection gets used more due to their presence in our online catalog.

Afterall, this is all done for the sake of the public.  We are here to provide their information needs.

Carlos A. Diaz
Government Documents/Maps
The Evergreen State College
Olympia, Washington