From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:14:10 -0500
Subject:        710 field mystery
Date:   Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:01:05 -0400
From:   Howard Stone <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I'm cataloging a map and making an added entry for the North Dakota Water
Commission. It's in the LC Name Authority File (see ARN 402740) entered
directly.

However, similar bodies are entered subordinately, for example: North
Dakota. Capitol Grounds Planning Commission (ARN 100455); or North Dakota.
Commission on Alcoholism (ARN 285946).

I'm mystified why similar government agencies are sometimes set up
directly, and sometimes set up subordinately. Can someone kindly shed some
light on this? I find this lack of consistency frustrating.

Thank you,

Howard Stone, Map Cataloger, Brown University