From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:00:07 -0500
Subject:        looking for Congressional District map for Manhattan, 1924
Date:   Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:57:34 -0400
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

We are looking for a Congressional District map for Manhattan, NYC, for
1924 (68th Congress), that is detailed enough to have labelled street
boundaries for the districts.

We've looked at the Kenneth Martis Historical Atlas of United States
Congressional Districts, 1789-1983, which has, in addition to small scale
maps, detailed verbal boundary descriptions and the progression of changes,
state by state, Congress by Congress.  But we were hoping for something
already mapped out at a large scale.  We've looked through our
miscellaneous maps, and we've consulted Donna Koepp's index to the Serial
Set maps, and we tried the New York Times online where we found an article
that was not illustrated with a map.  We found another atlas, United States
Congressional Districts, 1883-1913, by Stanley B. Parsons, et al., which
does have maps that show street name boundaries, but while there is a
Parsons volume that precedes this one, there doesn't seem to be (yet) a
volume that goes beyond 1913.

Is there some other comprehensive source that we are missing?  Or any other
possibility that someone can suggest?

With thanks,
Nancy

Nancy A. Kandoian
Map Cataloger
The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
The New York Public Library
5th Ave. & 42nd St.
New York, NY  10018-2788

phone 212-930-0586; fax 212-930-0027