From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:08:49 -0600
Subject:        Re: captured Nazi maps
Date:   Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:08:01 -0600
From:   Chieko Maene <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & GIS Forum <[log in to unmask]>

My favorite article about captured Nazi maps (which I didn't know until
recently) is:

R. Lee Hadden
The Heringen Collection of The US Geological Survey Library, Reston,
Virginia
- Originally published: "The Heringen Collection of the US Geological
Survey Library, Reston, Virginia." Earth Science History, Volume 27 (2),
2008. (ISSN: 0736-623X). Pages 242-265.
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA496551

ABSTRACT
A special collection of German, Polish, and Russian language books,
maps and reports in the US Geological Survey Library has an
interesting and unusual history. The so-called ‘Heringen Collection’
came from Nazi Germany. Many of these items were captured from
libraries, offices and even private homes as the German Army
advanced into neighboring countries. In the last days of the war, these
maps, reports, photos and other records were sent from the Military
Geology offices in Berlin to the safety of a deep potash mineshaft in
Heringen (Werra), in Hessen, Germany. A group of US Army soldiers
found these lost records of the Third Reich. When removed from the
Heringen mine, those records that dealt with the earth sciences, terrain
analysis, military geology and other geological matters were sent to
the USGS, and eventually came to reside at the USGS Library. The
printed papers and books were mostly incorporated into the main
collection, but a portion of the materials have never been cataloged,
calendared or indexed. These materials have many current uses,
including projects of value to citizens in their nations of origin.

Sincerely,
Chieko

--
Chieko Maene, MS, MLIS